This year has been a bumper damson crop for everybody according to the lady who rang my jam jars through the till at our local independant department store. And yet it’s only a certain sort of cookbook that has any damson recipes in it, let alone a choice. I’ve gathered together a list of my favourite damson recipes to help out anybody else blessed with too many damsons. No worries if you don’t have access to damsons – many of these recipes also work well with if you are afflicted with too many plums.
Recipes from Mostly Eating
Other people’s Recipes
- Delia’s spiced damson chutney
- Nigel Slater’s damson ice-cream
- Instructions for damson gin from the Cottage Smallholder
- All Things Everhot’s Damson curd, a take on Nigella’s cranberry curd recipe (amazing colour)
- Nigel Slater’s Damson spelt cake
I’ve tried and tested all of these recipes over the years with the exception of the damson curd and they’re all excellent, though of course if it’s quantity that you’re going for then damson jam and chutney are the best way to use up large quantities in one go.