The week just past was Farmhouse Breakfast Week 2011. In the spirit of this year’s theme Shake Up Your Wake Up there have been a plethora of fresh and inventive breakfast recipes appearing online and offline. There weren’t enough breakfasts in the day to get through this lot in a week and so thought I would gather all of the juicy links I’ve found together in one place so that we can peruse them at our leisure…
- The Guardian has a whole collection of quick and healthy breakfast recipes from Yotam Ottolenghi including a middle eastern take on Beans on Toast
- Joy the Baker has breakfast polenta two ways - a lovely sweet version with pear, cranberries and pecans and a savoury version
- Nutrition Rocks has a selection of recipes for Breakfast week where the Uevos ‘El Guapo’ caught my eye – a simpler version of Huevos Rancheros (because simplicity is always welcome when it comes to mornings!)
- Orangette has these Oatmeal Popovers, to eat warm with marmalade
- The official Farmhouse Breakfast week site has this intriguing warm hot chocolate and raspberry shake
- Not a recipe, but this new research suggests that breakfasting like a king may not help you to eat less later in the day. The research doesn’t supersede earlier findings which suggest that those who skip breakfast completely usually eat more calories in total across the day. Instead, it suggests that for those of us who do eat breakfast it’s worth being a bit choosy about what you have because we are unlikely to subconsciously compensate for a high calorie breakfast later in the day.
If you’re still hungry for more you might also like to check out all of the breakfast and brunch recipes in our archives.